ENPC 2020 Course Dates Available Soon
Trauma is the leading cause of death in children. However, acute illness is also a source of unnecessary paediatric death. While national attention has recently focused on the standardisation of trauma care, less effort has been made to standardise emergency paediatric care.
To lessen the morbidity and mortality professional nurses must be knowledgeable about prevention strategies for injury/disease, as well as triage assessment, nursing assessment and the appropriate interventions for children requiring emergency care. The Australian College of Emergency Nursing has acquired the sole distribution rights to the Emergency Nursing Paediatric Course (ENPC) as developed by the Emergency Nurses Association USA.
The provider course conducted over a two day period, offers competency level paediatric knowledge and psychomotor skills associated with the delivery of professional nursing care to the paediatric patient.
Overall Course Objectives
On completion of the course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the characteristics of life-threatening illness and injury in children
- Identify the anatomic and physiologic characteristics of children as a basis for signs and symptoms
- Identify the most frequent causes of illness or injury in children
- Describe the assessment of children with illness or injury
- Identify the appropriate nursing diagnoses and expected outcomes based on the assessment findings
- Plan the specific interventions needed to manage the child with illness or injury
- Evaluate the effectiveness of nursing interventions related to patient outcomes
- Identify health promotion strategies related to the paediatric population
Lecture topics include:
- Care of the paediatric patient in the emergency setting
- The paediatric patient
- Triage and initial assessment
- Paediatric Trauma
- Respiratory Emergencies
- Respiratory failure and shock
- Child maltreatment
- Neonatal Emergencies
- Medical Emergencies
- Crisis Intervention
- Environmental and Toxicological Emergencies
- Ethical and legal considerations
- Stabilisation and transport
Skill stations facilitate application of theory in a risk free setting, which simulate paediatric patient situations. Teaching stations include:
- Respiratory assessment and interventions
- Positioning and securing techniques
- Vascular access and medication administration
- Paediatric multiple trauma and paediatric resuscitation
Participants must be registered nurses or enrolled nurses with current registration.
Other heath providers may audit the course by negotiation with ACEN and will only be given an inservice credit. Verification of successful course completion will only be awarded to RN and EN participants.
To successfully complete the course, participants must achieve passing scores on a multi choice exam and & one psychomotor skill station .
The Australian College of Emergency Nursing will award 20 inservice hours to participants who attend the entire course regardless of their performance during testing.
The comprehensive manual provides all the essential course material and should be thoroughly reviewed by the participant before the course. The participants should receive their manual 6 weeks prior to the course.
Participant Course Fee: $695.00 GST Inclusive
SPECIAL COURSE FEE FOR ACEN FINANCIAL MEMBERS ONLY
$640.00 financial member of ACEN GST Inclusive.
Completed forms & payment to be forwarded 6 weeks prior :
Australian College of Emergency Nursing Ltd.
5 Crestview Drive
Glenwood NSW 2768
Phone: +61 02 9629 8688
Fax: +61 2 9629 8488
– Participants are not eligible for a refund once the manuals have been posted.
– Participants are not eligible for a refund for failure to attend the nominated course.
Special circumstances and course transfer may be considered on application to the Executive Director and must be received in writing before the course date.
Participants are not eligible to transfer to another course once manuals have been posted.
For more information, contact us.
You can use the table below or our Calendar to plan your next Course.